Saturday, September 12, 2009

I think that's a word. . .

While walking around the grocery store this afternoon, Jeff and I were having a random conversation about how much hair we had when we were babies. I said, " I didn't have a sprig of hair on my head." Jeff had no idea what a sprig is! Did I make that word up? This scenario happens very often because I always use words and phrases from NC that he has never heard before like "He didn't have a STITCH of . . " or "I look a SIGHT today." So I'm just wondering if sprig is one of those words that most people don't use or if it's just one Jeff has never heard before.

5 comments:

  1. no, people don't use that word. you're weird. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, people do use that word. It may be a local thing but we have always said there's not a sprig of hair on that child or a stich of clothes on him and yes you can look a sight.
    When ya'll move to NC we teach all these things to Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so a word! I've noticed that John's vocab is slightly lacking as well...when I said we "might could" do something he thought I was crazy! (I've also heard the word in context of a "sprig" of parsley or dill or something, which totally makes sense using it for hair)

    Just tell Jeff it is a measure word for long stringy things :) (a chinese reference)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I feel that, before everyone assumes the whole Rains family has a deficient vocabulary, I need to say that I know that "sprig" is a word. I've never heard it used that way before, but I don't think it's that weird. Maybe all our family's allotted vocaulary came to me!

    I agree with John, though (shudder), about "might could." That's just weird. (I love you, Catherine! It pains me to agree with him over you.) :D

    ReplyDelete